Lecturer Sustainable business
Sustainability has become increasingly more important in all realms of society and also in the hospitality industry. In both the bachelor and master program sustainability will therefore play a more important role in the curriculum. Topics in this domain include: Sustainable development, both environmental and HRM, sustainable business models, the UN Sustainable Development Goals and the 5 P’s, sustainable financial reporting, transformational business and systems thinking and perspective. Besides a theoretical approach of the subject matter, much attention is paid to the practical application of this knowledge in various areas of hospitality management.
We are looking for experienced, internationally oriented candidates who endorse the importance of good education and are driven to take ownership of the position as higher education lecturer. To students they will be a source of inspiration and a role model; to colleagues they will act as team players, contributing to the education of the future generation of hotel managers.
One of the characteristics of HMSM is our strong community: students not only study on our campus, they also live there during the first year of their studies and gain practical experience in the Teaching Hotel Chateau Bethlehem.
Our colleagues also feel part of the HMSM community and stand for small-scale and intensive education. In addition to their passion for and knowledge of their own discipline, each lecturer contributes to the promotion of hospitality, both to students and colleagues.
As a new colleague, you will be included in this community and contribute to it. Maastricht is therefore also the location for your work as a lecturer.
We are looking for enthusiastic colleagues able to:
- Provide classes in the above mentioned fields.
- Supervise and coach students both in project groups as on an individual basis.
- Supervise and visit interns, possibly abroad.
- Contribute to the development of our educational program, on the basis of their expertise.
- Contribute to the further development of the digitization of the program.
- Uphold the overall quality of the curriculum and assessment program.
Candidates are expected to have:
- Master's degree in a relevant academic field.
- excellent teaching and coaching skills for bachelor learning and be familiar with current educational methods and techniques.
- a recognised teaching certificate or willingness to attain one.
- an international background and be competent in both Dutch and English in order to teach at the level of a (near) native speaker.
- an affinity with developments in the digital world/blended learning.
- preferably a sound understanding of / experience in the hospitality industry.
- be a team player, able to inspire both students and colleagues.
The Hotel Management School Maastricht (HMSM)
The Hotel Management School Maastricht (HMSM), a subsidiary of Zuyd University of Applied Sciences, is internationally viewed as one of the leading institutes in its field. It offers a four-year Bachelor of Arts programme in both Dutch and English and a Master of Science in Facility & Real Estate Management which is organized in collaboration with international partners. A new Master "Leading in Hospitality Innovation" is currently being developed.
The bachelor course is aimed at prospective managers and entrepreneurs in the international hospitality industry, comprises a foundation programme of 2,5 years and a specialisation programme 0f 1,5 year offering three tracks: Hotel Management, Food Service and Horizons in Hospitality.
The focus of the HMSM is 'The next step in hospitality'. The program challenges students to carry out this innovation in hospitality. Core values include individual responsibility and personal attention. Besides that, we strongly believe in passion, professionalism, initiative, openness and inspiration. Innovative entrepreneurship is one of the focal points of the education and research programme. The other focal points are 'connecting' gastronomy and the development of a 'global mind set'. Furthermore, the ambition for the coming years is to significantly increase HMSM's international profile.
Terms of employment:
- An appointment for 0.6 - 1.0 FTE (to be negotiated) for the term of one year.
- Should the candidate prove suitable and perform favourably, the contract may be extended, provided operating circumstances remain unchanged.
- The salary scale awarded depends on the candidate’s qualifications and experience and shall be set in accordance with the collective labour agreement (CAO) in the higher vocational education sector, within the career prospects of scale 11.
- The terms of employment applicable include both 8% holiday pay and a fixed bonus equivalent to one month’s salary.
- Our fringe terms benefits comprise excellent opportunities to further one’s professional career.
Interested candidates should apply for the position before November 1st 2021 by entering their personal details, accompanied by a letter of application and CV on this website.
Hotel Management School Maastricht