Lecturer research skills
General Function description
On a day to day basis you will teach students throughout the entire bachelor program to develop their quantitative and qualitative research skills. You will both explain various research methods such as design thinking and ANOVA as well as connecting these methods to the industry and their use to future hospitality managers. You will also guide students to understanding relevant software programs for data analysis.
Next to this, you are passionate about translating the needs of the hospitality industry and society to our educational programs. You see the possibilities of educating our students in utilizing (big) data, data analysis, taking data driven management decisions and the application of forms of A.I. in innovative ways.
You won’t limit yourself to teaching and developing the curriculum. You are a professional who takes ownership of your role and you have a positive mindset. Aligned with your own ambitions you will have the opportunity to – for example - take educational courses, participate in workgroups/committees or when there are task openings, partake in activities at one of the three research centers. You will be working in a young and enthusiastic team of teachers who value team-work and are open to apply new teaching methods in the small-scale teaching environment that HMSM provides. Due to our students living and working on the HMSM campus the first year, we have a strong community of both students and staff. You will be part of this and therefore Maastricht will also be the location for your work as a lecturer.
We are looking for an enthusiastic colleague able to:
- Provide classes in the aforementioned field of expertise.
- Supervise and coach students in project groups and in applied research projects.
- Contribute to the development of the educational program specifically in the areas mentioned above.
- Supervise and visit interns, possibly abroad.
- Coach students in their study progress and in community building.
What do we expect from you?
- a Master's degree.
- good teaching and coaching skills for bachelor learning and familiarity with current educational methods and techniques (blended learning).
- demonstrably experience in the development of course material.
- a recognised teaching certificate or willingness to attain one.
- be competent in both Dutch and English in order to teach at the level of a (near) native speaker.
- preferably a sound understanding of / experience in the hospitality industry.
- a team player, able to inspire both students and colleagues.
The Hotel Management School Maastricht
The Hotel Management School Maastricht (HMSM), a subsidiary of Zuyd University of Applied Sciences, is internationally viewed as one of the leading institutes in its field. It offers a four-year Bachelor of Arts programme in both Dutch and English and a Master of Science in Facility & Real Estate Management which is organized in collaboration with international partners. A new Master "Leading in Hospitality Innovation" is currently being developed with partners in Spain and Ireland and will start in September 2023.
The bachelor course belongs to the domain of economic bachelor programmes in the Netherlands and is aimed at prospective managers and entrepreneurs in the international hospitality industry, comprises a foundation programme of 2,5 years and a specialisation programme 0f 1,5 year offering three tracks: Hotel Management, Food Service and Horizons in Hospitality.
The focus of the HMSM is 'The next step in hospitality'. The program challenges students to carry out this innovation in hospitality. Innovative entrepreneurship is one of the focal points of the education and research program. The other focal points are 'connecting' gastronomy and the development of a 'global mind set'. We want to be a value driven educational community and focused on passion, professionalism, initiative, openness and inspiration. Furthermore, our ambition for the coming years is to significantly strengthen our international profile.
What we offer:
We welcome you at HMSM, offering a challenging and innovative environment with great opportunities for you to explore and develop yourself further. Colleagues describe working at HMSM as it gives energy and it is rewarding to work with young and talented students.
Terms of employment:
- An appointment for approximately 0.5 FTE for the term of one year.
- Should you prove suitable and perform favourably, the contract may be extended, provided operating circumstances remain unchanged.
- The salary scale awarded depends on your qualifications and experience and shall be set in accordance with the collective labour agreement (CAO) in the higher vocational education sector, within the career prospects of scale 11.
- The terms of employment applicable include both 8% holiday pay and a fixed year-end bonus of 8,3%.
- Our fringe terms benefits comprise excellent opportunities to further your professional career.
Are you interested?
Interested candidates should apply for the position by entering their personal details, accompanied by a letter of application and CV on this website.
Please apply before October 3rd. Interviews will take place in the second half of October.
Hotel Management School Maastricht