Lecturer Music Theory
Who are we looking for?
Conservatorium Maastricht, very international in its composition and mindset, is a close-knit community. We believe in collectivity, in the will to challenge each other and excel ourselves. To add value, in and with music.
We enable and inspire students and lecturers to develop by learning, teaching, creating and performing. We prepare our students for a career in music beyond borders and believe in lifelong learning.
Conservatorium Maastricht is an international conservatory which connect the local to the national and international. Students and lecturers of Conservatorium Maastricht are innovators and offer a valuable contribution to the international world of music and to society, either as performers/creators, teachers, researchers and/or entrepreneurs.
Our educational programme is based on links across disciplines as well as with the music industry, other art disciplines, educational and cultural organizations and businesses.
With effect from September 1st 2022 we are looking for a Lecturer Music Theory (0,2-0,4 fte).
The Music Theory department of the Conservatorium Maastricht is looking to appoint inspiring and historically informed lecturers, who are aware of the most recent developments in teaching music theory to young musicians of tomorrow.
We are seeking to appoint a professional music theorist with practical skills, including improvisation, who can work across disciplines, integrate various components of music theory and who can relate to music practice. Essential is the ability to work didactically and with an open mind to the further development of the curriculum. The ideal candidate possesses teaching experience in higher music education, is knowledgeable in the field of 19th and 20th century music, is flexible in his availability and has excellent English language skills.
- Teach group lessons in a broad range of music theoretical subjects
- Evaluate and assess the students
- Conduct entrance exams
- Participate in meetings of the theory team
- Further develop the curriculum
- Master of Music in music theory, preferably combined with an instrumental education and experience in performance practice
- Keyboard skills
- Teaching experience in higher music education preferred
- Team player and facilitator
- Fluency in English
- Communicative and organizational skills
Terms and conditions of employment
- An appointment of max 0,4 fte for a duration of 1 year with the Stichting Zuyd Hogeschool, with the prospect of a permanent appointment. For internal candidates, the current period of employment is respected.
- A salary depending on academic background and professional experience, of maximum scale 11 according to the CAO-HBO, the collective agreement for universities of applied sciences (maximum € 5,332.48 before taxes, per month, under fulltime employment).
- A contract on self-employed basis isn’t possible.
Procedure and interest
Qualified candidates should submit on this website before June 17, 2022:
- A motivational letter
- Three references
After a first round of letter selection, candidates will be invited for an interview and a trial lesson on June 29 or 30, 2022.
Are you interested?
For further information please contact Rik Bastiaens, Head of Programme Classical 2 firstname.lastname@example.org or Mette Laugs, Head of Programme Classical 1 email@example.com or telephone number +31 6 1416 8452