Lecturer in Food Business
Sustainability, transparency and customization characterize the trends marking the current global food industry. These trends are next to the influence of COVID- 19 shaking up the landscape of companies and innovation. Food companies are finding success in their ability to be creative and agile in meeting consumers’ high demands for transparency, innovative products and commitments to values such as sustainability and health. All of these trends point to an empowered and connected global consumer who is demanding more authenticity and story, varied alternatives, and a stake in sustainability and bettering the world.
You have an ambition to convey your passion for these developments, trends and innovations in the food industry to students, both in a professional and teaching capacity. You have an entrepreneurial, service-minded and innovative mindset and endorse the importance of good education. To students, you are a source of inspiration and a role model; to colleagues, a valued team player, bringing positive energy and contributing to the education of the future generation managers in the food industry.
The tasks and responsibilities include:
- Provide education in the HMSM curriculum about food business in all its facets with a focus in the track Foodservice;
- Guiding and coaching students in project groups about the food business, with a focus on concept & business development, innovation, marketing and market-research;
- Supervising and visiting interns, possibly abroad;
- Contribute to the further development of the program in the fields of expertise, as mentioned earlier;
- Contribute to the further development of the recently started digitization of the program;
- Maintain and further develop our network within the (international) food industry;
- Upholding the quality of the curriculum and assessment programme.
Candidates are expected to have:
- Up-to-date working knowledge within the international food industry;
- A solid experience in leading renowned food companies including experiences in the dynamics and complex playing fields that operate in the food supply chain (from farming and food production, packaging and distribution, to at home and out of home outlets). Both work experience in/with multi-nationals, start-ups and scale-ups;
- A Master's degree (preferably in marketing, economics and/or in food-related subjects) or an MBA;
- An innovative and service-minded attitude and promoting a work environment that fosters creative thinking, co-creation and innovation;
- An inner-drive and an ability to motivate and inspire students and colleagues;
- An affinity towards education and developing the talents of young people;
- Experience in (market)research and conducting applied research;
- Current and relevant network in the food business;
- An affinity with the world of hospitality;
- Experience in gastronomy and consumer behaviour is a preference;
- A teaching certificate or a willingness to acquire one;
- An affinity with developments in the digital world / blended learning;
- Fluency in English, both written and spoken. Competence in Dutch is preferable.
Hotel Management School Maastricht
The focus of the HMSM is 'The next step in hospitality'. The program challenges and supports students to carry out this innovation in hospitality. Core values include individual responsibility and personal attention. Besides that, we strongly believe in passion, professionalism, initiative, openness and inspiration. Innovative entrepreneurship is one of the focal points of the education and research programme. The other focal points are 'connecting' gastronomy and the development of a 'global mind set'.
Furthermore, the ambition for the coming years is to significantly increase HMSM's international profile.
What we offer:
We welcome you at HMSM, offering a challenging and innovative environment with great opportunities for you to explore and develop yourself further. Colleagues describe working at HMSM as it gives energy, and it is rewarding to work with young and talented students; you get plenty of freedom and room for your entrepreneurship, and the collaboration with the industry is very close.
Terms of employment:
- An appointment for 0.6 - 1.0 FTE (to be negotiated) for the term of one year.
- Should the candidate prove suitable and perform favourably, then the contract may be extended, provided operating circumstances remain unchanged.
- The salary scale awarded depends on the candidate’s qualifications and experience and shall be set in accordance with the collective labour agreement (CAO) in the higher vocational education sector, within the career prospects of scale 11 or 12.
- The terms of employment applicable include both 8% holiday pay and a fixed bonus equivalent to one month’s salary.
- Our fringe benefits comprise excellent opportunities to further one’s professional career.
Further information is available either on our website: www.hotelschoolmaastricht.nl or from Mrs Josje van Dongen, Head of Innovation & Programme Specialisations at HMSM email@example.com tel. +31 (0)643577391.
Interested candidates should apply for the position before October 26th by entering their personal details, accompanied by a letter of application and CV on this website.