Lecturer data science, digital technology, research skills
Within the context of the development of the study programs and the growing number of students we would like to strengthen our team with a Lecturer data science, digital technology, research skills.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, internationally oriented candidate who endorses the importance of good education and is driven to take ownership of the position as higher education lecturer.
To students you are a source of inspiration and a role model; to colleagues you will act as a team player, bringing positive energy and contributing to the education of the future generation of hospitality managers.
One of the characteristics of HMSM is our strong community: our students not only study on our campus, they also live here during the first year of their studies and gain practical experience in the Teaching Hotel Chateau Bethlehem.
A characteristic of our colleagues is that they feel part of this HMSM community and stand for small-scale and intensive education. In addition to the passion for and knowledge of the own discipline, each lecturer contributes to the promotion of hospitality, both to students and colleagues.
As a new colleague, you will be included in this community and contribute to it. Maastricht is therefore also the location for your work as a lecturer.
View on the program
From year 1 on we stimulate an attitude of ‘research oriented learning’ and focus on the
development of the students’ research skills. In the first 2.5 years the program is oriented
towards quantitative as well as qualitative research methods. Students work on themes such
as: how to do desk research, how to formulate good research questions, interviewing, how to
make a survey, how to use SPSS and Excel. Besides a theoretical approach, much attention is
paid to the practical application of this knowledge in various areas of hospitality management.
Development of the program
Developments in the hospitality industry and society in general ask for a permanent update of our educational programs. Working with (big) data, data analysis, taking data driven management decisions, application of forms of A.I., etc. are new topics we are actually integrating in the curriculum. You as an expert in these fields will participate in this.
We are looking for an enthusiastic colleague able to:
- Provide classes in the aforementioned field of expertise.
- Supervise and coach students in project groups and in applied research projects.
- Supervise and visit interns, possibly abroad.
- Contribute to the development of the educational program specifically in the areas mentioned above.
- Possibly coach students in their study progress and in community building.
What do we expect?
- a Master's degree.
- excellent teaching and coaching skills for bachelor learning and familiarity with current educational methods and techniques (blended learning).
- demonstrably experience in the development of course material.
- a recognised teaching certificate or willingness to attain one.
- be competent in both Dutch and English in order to teach at the level of a (near) native speaker.
- preferably a sound understanding of / experience in the hospitality industry.
- a team player, able to inspire both students and colleagues.
Hotel Management School Maastricht
The Hotel Management School Maastricht (HMSM), a subsidiary of Zuyd University of Applied Sciences, is internationally viewed as one of the leading institutes in its field.
It offers a four-year Bachelor of Arts programme in both Dutch and English and a Master of Science in Facility & Real Estate Management which is organized in collaboration with international partners.
A new Master "Leading in Hospitality Innovation" is currently being developed.
The bachelor course belongs to the domain of economic bachelor programmes in the Netherlands and is aimed at prospective managers and entrepreneurs in the international hospitality industry, comprises a foundation programme of 2,5 years and a specialisation programme 0f 1,5 year offering three tracks: Hotel Management, Food Service and Horizons in Hospitality.
The focus of the HMSM is 'The next step in hospitality'.
The program challenges students to carry out this innovation in hospitality. Core values include individual responsibility and personal attention. Besides that, we strongly believe in passion, professionalism, initiative, openness and inspiration. Innovative entrepreneurship is one of the focal points of the education and research programme. The other focal points are 'connecting' gastronomy and the development of a 'global mind set'. Furthermore, the ambition for the coming years is to significantly increase HMSM's international profile.
What we offer:
We welcome you at HMSM, offering a challenging and innovative environment with great opportunities for you to explore and develop yourself further. Colleagues describe working at HMSM as it gives energy and it is rewarding to work with young and talented students.
Terms of employment:
- An appointment for 0.6 - 1.0 FTE (to be negotiated) for the term of one year.
- Should you prove suitable and perform favourably, the contract may be extended, provided operating circumstances remain unchanged.
- The salary scale awarded depends on your qualifications and experience and shall be set in accordance with the collective labour agreement (CAO) in the higher vocational education sector, within the career prospects of scale 11.
- The terms of employment applicable include both 8% holiday pay and a fixed year-end bonus of 8,3%.
- Our fringe terms benefits comprise excellent opportunities to further your professional career.
Interest and application
Are you interested?
Further information is available either on our website: www.hotelschoolmaastricht.nl or from
Mrs Marja Windhorst (until April 28th), education manager HMSM, firstname.lastname@example.org or
tel. +31 (0)6 51196675.
Interested candidates should apply for the position by entering their personal details, accompanied by a letter of application and CV on this website.